Monday, October 01, 2007

plea from a cat named virtute.

So October has arrived. This is always a great month, and has always been one of my favourites. I tend to wait 11 whole months just to get to October. The leaves changing colours, the brisk wind that stings your face on a cool day, the thought that my birthday (and with it, presents) are coming. I tend to be a sucker for Autumn. Actually, I tend to be a sucker for all seasons minus spring. Spring can rot for all I care.
Autumn here in Calgary is something I've never seen. The trees shedding their only possessions to the frigid ground, while cars produce gusts of wind that blow them around is nothing new. The wind coming along and producing a tolerable sting on your cheeks is nothing new. The sky morphing into an inky black, dotted with stars earlier and earlier in the day is nothing new. The tall skyscrapers that seem to separate the clouds, and leave scratch marks on an unsuspecting sky is something new. The bustle of one million people scurrying around, with an almost disregard for the people around them, invading their routine, is something new. But most new of all, is the backdrop to which this is all set on. Looking out into the vastness of time and space in front of me and seeing jagged formations of earth that have been here longer than the human race is something new. I've always thought autumn was the most beautiful of all seasons, but having everything I love about autumn depicted in front of the Rocky Mountains is something new, and something I'm finding I quite enjoy.