Friday, July 03, 2009

black or white.

As many of you are aware, I am not the first volunteer to play on a sports team. Nor am I anyone's first pick to play on their sports team. Nor am I first person you think of when someone says "outdoors" (yet, I do enjoy them immensely).

However, today I went outdoors and helped a friend out by playing baseball / softball. I think we were technically playing softball, but when I compared the ball to a baseball I couldn't tell the difference. They're both hard and hurt when they boing you off the head. We have an unofficial ball team at work that I kindly declined joining a few months ago when it was getting off the ground. However, I joined today so that they wouldn't forfeit due to a lack of players. Surprisingly enough, it wasn't bad. I even had some fun. Granted, I struck out 3 different times and only hit the ball once, but apparently my swings weren't "that far off" for someone who has never played. Oh, and as it turns out, I can sort of throw a ball with accuracy and speed for a novice. In the end though, we still lost. We played 2 games and the first game ended in what they referred to as "mercy" meaning the other team was so far ahead of us that there was no physical way for us to catch up to them. Now that's depressing. The second game ended poorly for us as well, for the record.

Oh baseball, the great American pastime. I'm looking forward to visiting Yankee stadium and getting an authentic Yankees ball-cap and baseball tee.