Monday, October 18, 2010

save me.

I've always had a thing for Superman. Even the origin of his name, with its Nietzsche roots. Something about a hero who can save us all has always appealed to me. It might be my Christian upbringing that has subconsciously played a part in this, mind you. Superman has always appeared like a Christ figure. Or, it may be that at heart, I'm still a little kid who needs to be rescued - or at least feels like it. At the very least, it'd be cool to know him (assuming he were to actually exist). I can't imagine the lonely road that he would have to walk down. In essence, he's the best representation of the Byronic hero we have. He never asked to be Earth's savour.

Over the past 10 years that Smallville has been on the air I've been an avid fan. I think a part of me prefers the "Clark Kent" story over Superman. To me, Clark Kent represents the Superman we can all be. The upstanding citizen that just wants to do good. Watching Smallville over the years I get stoked whenever they make Superman references, or bring in characters from his mythology. With the 10th and final season upon us, the Superman representations are their highest. Every time something happens and we get a glimmer of what's to come I swell with hope on the inside.

I think there's a little bit of Superman inside all of us. We all have darkness inside us that we must overcome if we are to realize our true destiny and purpose. We can all be a symbol of hope for someone. We don't need to wear a cape and tights in order to save the day.