Thursday, December 31, 2009

till the morning.

So, 2009 is about to end and we're about to start a brand new decade. I'm fairly excited as 2010 already contains many promises (granted I don't flunk any of my classes as they're all required. Oops).

With the closure of 2009 I've compiled my yearly favourite tracks. Ready? Set? Go!

10. Party in the U.S.A. - Miley Cyrus.
I love this song and I don't care who knows.

9. First Train Home - Imogen Heap
Imogen Heap has a way of making the most whimsical, borderline magical songs.

8. She Wolf - Shakira
The first time I heard this song I was a bit put off. I won't deny that it's incredibly bizarre. The lyrical content, the howling, the stupid-ass dance moves in the music video should all equal disaster. However, I find this song to be more interesting and incredibly daring than goofy and failing. It's unpredictability is key. It's either brilliantly insane, or insanely brilliant. I can't decide.

7. Zero - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Magnetic. That's the only adjective I find appropriate for this song.

6. Lisztomania - Phoenix
It was about time Phoenix came out with some new music. It was worth the wait though.

5. Paparazzi - Lady GaGa
Lady Gaga is such a decadent aesthete. It's borderline frustrating that not everyone can indulge in this bit of information.

4. Walking on a Dream - Empire of the Sun
I acknowledge that they sound very similar to MGMT, and I realize this song came out in 2008 not 2009, but I didn't hear it until the tail end of 08 and it carried over to 09. Regardless, I like it.

3. Whatchadoin? - N.A.S.A. (feat. Spank Rock, Santigold, M.I.A. & Nick Zinner)
The Brazilian funk in this track is musically irresistible.

2. Gimme Sympathy - Metric
Well?? Who would you rather be - the Beatles or the Rolling Stones?

1. Empire State of Mind - Jay-Z feat. Alicia Keys
The concrete jungle of my dreams.


Honourable mentions for the year go to (ranked in descending order):
Ballad of Hugo Chavez - Arkells
Good Girls Go Bad (feat. Leighton Meester) - Cobra Starship
Noisemaker - Two Hours Traffic
Turn Cold - Cut Off Your Hands
Gifted (feat. Kanye West, Santigold & Lykke Li) - N.A.S.A.
Closer to Love - Mat Kearney
Nobody Knows You - Office
Party in Your Bedroom - Cash Cash
I'm Running (feat. Sam Roberts) - Misstress Barbara
New Years - Ohbijou