Tuesday, January 20, 2009

a thousand miles.

So, I know we've all heard so much about this, but this truly is the first time people have been excited about American politics in a long time. Sure, all of us know about American politics due to their super-power status, but when was the last time people were excited about it? I'm drawing a blank here.

The thing is, I love Barack Obama. I think he's exactly what the world needs - not just what the United States of America needs. The US has a far reaching effect on the whole planet, so the decisions they make have consequences for all of us. However, I am also slightly worried. I realize Obama is just one man. The amount of people who cheer for him, cry over his victory, feel privileged to have a man such as him in power, the amount of people is staggering. The amount of pressure he must feel is overwhelming. No matter what he does, he'll always be remembered and that's a frightening thought. What if he fails to live up to the unrealistic expectations people have set out for him? After all, he is just one man. He's not Jesus. He's simply Barack Obama. The last time someone had expectations of me was in the summer and I remember being scared of that - what if I wasn't everything they were expecting me to be? The less you expect from me, the less likely you'll be let down. The expectations for this one man stretch as far as the most remote locations on Earth.

Is it weird that I feel both sorry and scared, but still hopeful for this one person?