Tuesday, November 25, 2008

eternity one night only.

So this morning I decided to sleep in, thereby avoiding my most dreaded class: English 430 - Restoration & 18th Century Literature. This was both a bad and a good move. It was bad because we have a major paper due next class, and the prof could have mentioned certain things about it during today's lecture, thereby screwing me over due to my lack of presence. However, this act of hooky turned out to be for the best as it made me realize how much I hated that class. The readings are far from engaging, the professor does little to make the topic interesting or allow for class discussions and participation, and I was getting nothing out of it. I paid $500 for something that was giving me nothing in return. The result? I decided to drop it. It's a full year class and the thought of continuing it well into the new year was appalling. I won't get a refund for this term because there's only a week and a half left - but at least I don't have to pay another $500 for it next term, so I can put that money towards something that will be beneficial to my knowledge and to my degree.

I think today marks one of the smartest things I've ever done academically.