Friday, November 07, 2008

strangers in the wind.

Those who know me can attest to the fact that I love hipster culture. I do it from an ironic point of view, and it mostly consists of an adoration of hipster fashion sense. A large portion of "hipsterdom" is rooted in white culture, and I'm more white than anything else, so certain hipster traits are reflected in me. Accordingly, a lot of what pertains to hipster culture and hipster subculture is met with great anguish from certain individuals, as the arrival of the hipster in North America truly represents one of the lasts phases of an indistinguishable and entirely disposable culture. In essence, that which the hipster claims to be, is the death of modern society. I won't get into the reasons behind it now, but ask me in person or on the interweb to elaborate and I will comply.

That said, please note my use of the term "hipster in North America," for if history serves correct, that which I most admire in the hipster (the fashion sense) was actually started in Europe well before it arrived on our shores this side of the Atlantic. In Europe, the hipster represents none of the same catastrophic social meanderings, perhaps due to the different mentality that is prevalent in Europe. In any event, I love this video on YouTube due to it's obvious display of hipster fashion sensibilities and tecktonik dance moves (something that North American hipsters have copied to a tee, if only to further their bulls eye shot to the heart of society).

As I stated, the original hipster movement started in Europe, and was then copied and morphed into a North American appropriate cultural movement. Reading the comments on this video seem to reveal that, while it is prevalent in most major cities, it has yet to pierce the small towns and heartlands of Canada and the United States. Perhaps these areas are where the embodiment of society should flock to in order to save itself from the self destruction afflicted upon itself due to the arrival of the hipster.

VIDEO